Since the leaked information that has drawn attention to the risk of America going backward, many artists have spoken out against the potential overturn of Roe v. Wade and the new potential regulations surrounding abortion. On May 17th during a show in Florida, Halsey screened a massive video in the background of her set during the performance of “Nightmare,” according to NME.
Roe v. Wade is a historic case that has been cited in many Supreme Court decisions over the past few decades. The case deals with the right to privacy and a woman’s right to her own reproductive system. Halsey’s video features flashing lyrical tie-ins with the rights of women and how the overturn of Roe v. Wade would hurt the many women across the country.
Halsey has been extremely vocal about her support for Roe v. Wade and abortion rights. In this statement on Twitter, she wrote “This is one of the most significant events we will witness in our lifetimes,” she said. “The effects of this decision will spiral into lethal situations for our entire country, most seriously impacting people of colour, rural areas and socioeconomically impacted communities. The time to take action is now.”
She added that “This is a cruel attack on our fundamental right to choose if and when to have a child. I felt this way before I became a mother and I feel this way even more now after having my son. Pregnancy and having a child is a dangerous and life-altering experience, though one that can be beautiful if you are consenting and desiring of it. Everyone deserves the right to choose and the right to make that choice safely. Please take action.”
The overturning of Roe V Wade will mark a catastrophic shift in our fundamental rights to bodily autonomy and reproductive health care. We are constituents and we have the right and responsibility to fight this.@aclu@PPFA @AbortionFunds pic.twitter.com/zYlXSZqzCu
— h (@halsey) May 4, 2022
The video included powerful statistics like how:
- Nearly 8 in 10 Americans oppose overturning Roe v. Wade.
- Black women suffer from maternal mortality at rates three times higher than white women.
- So far this year, 1,991 total provisions related to sexual and reproductive health and rights have been introduced across 46 states.
- In Oklahoma and Texas, abortion is banned at six weeks, before many know they’re pregnant.
- 89 per cent of US counties don’t have an abortion provider.
- There are now 16 states where 95 per cent of counties do not have an abortion clinic.
- Six out of every 10 women who have abortions are already mothers.
- Nearly 1 in 3 women will have an abortion in their lifetime.
You can watch a fan-made video below.
— vic / stageworks | fortnite era (@StageWorks_) May 18, 2022