In honor of Mose Allison, musicians such as Iggy Pop, Frank Black, Elvis Costello, Fiona Apple and a few more have created an honorary tribute album. In memory of Mr. Allison, two new songs came out earlier this morning in honor of him, and many more songs will be released on the featured album.
Mose John Allison Jr. was an American jazz and blues pianist, singer, and songwriter with a passion for telling stories through his music. He was recognized for playing a unique mix of blues and modern jazz together. He sang his heart out and played piano with a feverish flare. It is only right that he is reincarnated by the interpretations of new age artist’s. His music was awe inspiring for many other Jazz artists and his music will continue inspiring others for decades to come.
Here are two we composed interpretations of Allison’s music. The first is, “If You’re Going To The City,” remastered by Iggy Pop and the second is, “Numbers On Paper,” by Frank Black.
If You’re Going to The City Tracklist:
1. Taj Mahal – Your Mind Is On Vacation
2. Robbie Fulks – My Brain
3. Jackson Browne – If You Live
4. The Tippo Allstars featuring Fiona Apple – Your Molecular Structure
5. Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite – Nightclub
6. Chrissie Hynde – Stop This World
7. Iggy Pop – If You’re Going to the City
8. Bonnie Raitt – Everybody’s Crying Mercy
9. Loudon Wainwright III – Ever Since the World Ended
10. Richard Thompson – Parchman Farm
11. Peter Case – I Don’t Worry About A Thing
12. Dave Alvin and Phil Alvin – Wild Man On the Loose
13. Anything Mose! – The Way of the World
14. Frank Black – Numbers On Paper
15. Amy Allison with Elvis Costello – Monsters of the Id
Photo Credit: Raymond Float