The Stooges were a band that formed in Ann Arbor, Michigan back in 1967 by singer, Iggy Pop, guitarist Ron Asheton, drummer Scott Asheton, and bassist Dave Alexander. To mark the 50th anniversary of The Stooges’ self-titled debut, Rhino Records has released a digital Super Deluxe Edition featuring studio outtakes and alternate tracks never-before-available digitally. Included in the Super Deluxe Edition will be John Cale’s rejected mix of the full album, which is being released at the correct speed for the first time.
Cale’s original mix of the album wasn’t released until 2010 when it appeared on a 40th anniversary reissue. However, that mix was “mastered at a slower speed than originally intended,” according to a press release. “That speed discrepancy has been corrected on the 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition, making it faithful to Cale’s original mixes. Four of those mixes, ‘Not Right’, ‘We Will Fall’, ‘Real Cool Time’, and ‘Ann’ will make their digital debut this month as part of the release.”
Those who are unfamiliar with Iggy Pop may recognize popular songs, “Candy” and “Wild One” which showcase his long-earned talent as an artist. His vocals penetrate you and The Stooges have an incredibly distinct sound, illuminating a significant time in history, just 50 years ago. The Stooges popular songs include “1969”, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” and “No Fun” that seem to catapult you into an era with groovy guitar sounds and drums. “1969” was featured on Rolling Stone’s list of the “100 Greatest Guitar Songs” at number 35.
The band, The Stooges also known as Iggy and The Stooges released two albums, The Stooges (1969) and Fun House (1970). After the release of both albums, the group disbanded briefly, and reformed with a different lineup to release Raw Power (1973) before breaking up again in 1974. The band reunited in 2003 until dissolving in 2016 following the deaths of Scott Asheton and saxophonist Steve Mackay. Ron Asheton participated in the reunion until his death in 2009. The Stooges were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010. In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked them 78th on their list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.
Playing a raw, primitive style of rock and roll, the band sold few records in their original incarnation and gained a reputation for their confrontational performances, which often involved acts of self-mutilation by Iggy Pop.
The Stooges 50th Anniversary Reissue Tracklist
1. 1969 (2019 remaster)
2. I Wanna Be Your Dog (2019 remaster)
3. We Will Fall (2019 remaster)
4. No Fun (2019 remaster)
5. Real Cool Time (2019 remaster)
6. Ann (2019 remaster)
7. Not Right (2019 remaster)
8. Little Doll
9. 1969 (John Cale mix) (2019 remaster)
10. Not Right (John Cale mix) (2019 remaster)
11. We Will Fall (John Cale mix) (2019 remaster)
12. No Fun (John Cale mix) (2019 remaster)
13. Real Cool Time (John Cale mix) (2019 remaster)
14. Ann (John Cale mix) (2019 remaster)
15. Little Doll (John Cale mix) (2019 remaster)
16. I Wanna Be Your Dog (John Cale mix) (2019 remaster)
17. 1969 (Alternate Vocal) (2019 remaster)
18. Real Cool Time (Takes 1 and 2) (2019 remaster)
19. Not Right (Alternate Vocal) (2019 remaster)
20. Ann (Full Version) (2019 remaster)
21. I Wanna Be Your Dog (Alternate Vocal) (2019 remaster)
22. No Run (Full Version) (2019 remaster)
23. Little Doll (Takes 1-5) (2019 remaster)
24. We Will Fall (Alternate Version) (2019 remaster)
25. Asthma Attack (2019 remaster)
26. I Wanna Be Your Dog (Single Version) (2019 remaster)