Rwandan based band The Good Ones will be releasing a new album entitled Rwanda, You Should Be Loved, a twelve track album that will be released on Anti Records this November 8. This album will feature a star studded cast including Wilco’s Nels Cline (“Where Did You Go Wrong, My Love?”), TV On The Radio’s Tunde Adebimpe (“Despite It All I Still Love You, Dear Friend”), Sleater-Kinney’s Corin Tucker (“Please Come Back To Me”), My Bloody Valentine’s Kevin Shields (“A Long, Sad Journey Watching You Die”) and Fugazi’s Joe Lally (“My Wife is as Beautiful as a Sunset”).
In addition to this album announcement, the band has also released a new single entitled “The Farmer,” and released an accompanying lyric video which translates the song. This track, as opposed to other music from prominent African musicians such as Tinariwen, is a lot more stripped back and features a single acoustic guitar, and lyrics in Kinyarwanda.
The Good Ones are a trio of Rwandan musicians, who were all taught to play music from co-lead singer Janvier Havugimana’s older brother, who died in the 1994 genocide. After this catastrophic event, the new members joined together as the groups as a symbol of solidarity,a s each member was part of a different tribe in the country; the Tutsi, Hutu, and Abatwa tribes.
Rwanda, You Should Be Loved
1. The Farmer
2. Despite It All I Still Love You, Dear Friend (with Tunde Adebimpe)
3. Will You Be My Protector?
4. Where Did You Go Wrong, My Love? (with Nels Cline)
5. Young People Are the Future
6. Please Come Back To Me (with Corin Tucker)
7. Marciana, You Should Love
8. A Long, Sad Journey Watching You Die (with Kevin Shields)
9. Life Is Hard
10. Seraphinne, You are the Most Beautiful Woman in the World
11. My Wife is as Beautiful as a Sunset (with Joe Lally)
12. My Smartest Friend Has Lost His Mind