Chicago rapper Common has just announced a release date for his upcoming album entitled Let Love, which is set to be released on Loma Vista Recordings this August 30th. This upcoming album is set to heave features from a variety of rappers including Dwele, A-Trak, Leon Bridges, Samora Pinderhughes and BJ The Chicago Kid.
“This album is inspired by the book, Let Love Have The Last Word which gave me a path to write about things I had never written about before,” stated according to a press report.”It forced me to go deeper and because I opened up about so many things in the book, I was charged to go to raw, personal and spiritual places in the music.”
Common has already unveiled the project’s first single entitled “Hercules” which has a cameo of Swizz Beatz, ho is also featured on the track, along with another cameo from fellow rapper Vince Staples. The new music video features Common in a local convenience store, which sees an attempted armed robbery go down before it is stopped by Staples and Common.
His memoir Let Love Have The Last Word, discussed many events in Common’s life, including a sexual assault that occurred while he was a child. This occurred while working with filmmaker Laura Dern on the film The Tale, which is about a journalist coming to terms with her own repressed memories of sexual assault.
“One day, while talking through the script with Laura, old memories surprisingly flashed in my mind,” he writes in his memoir. “I caught my breath and just kept looping the memories over and over, like rewinding an old VHS tape…I said ‘Laura, I think I was abused.’”
Let Love tracklist
1. ‘Good Morning Love’ feat. Samora Pinderhughes
2. ‘HER Love’ feat. Daniel Caesar w/special guest Dwele
3. ‘Dwele’s Interlude’
4. ‘Hercules’ feat. Swizz Beatz
5. ‘Fifth Story’ feat. Leikeli47
6. ‘Forever Your Love’ feat. BJ The Chicago Kid
7. ‘Leaders (Crib Love)’ feat. A-Trak
8. ‘Memories of Home’ feat. BJ The Chicago Kid and Samora Pinderhughes
9. ‘Show Me That You Love’ feat. Jill Scott and Samora Pinderhughes
10. ‘My Fancy Free Future Love’
11. ‘God Is Love’ feat. Leon Bridges and Jonathan McReynolds
Photo Credit: Richard Saethang