Outside of the A.V. Club’s yearly Undercovers, perhaps Australia’s Triple J radio station has brought the most amazing covers done by the most amazing bands, via its beloved Like a Version segment.
The station has often created various compilations of these covers for release in Australia, but now, finally, American listeners will be given the opportunity to be able to enjoy these covers in Triple J’s very first North American compilation.
The compilation is comprised of over 21 covers that the station has amassed over the past several years, with some absolute highlights, some of which are: a phenomenal cover of The Postal Service’s classic “Such Great Heights” done by the legendary Ben Folds, Bon Iver bravely taking on Anais Mitchell’s track “Coming Down,” and even Mark Ronson with his Queens of the Stone Age cover of “I Sat By the Ocean.”
Other songs on the compilation include covers cut by Tame Impala (reworking Kylie Minogue), Flume (Ghost Town DJs), Chvrches (Arctic Monkeys), Mark Ronson (Queens of the Stone Age) and Mumford & Sons (White Lies). And there’s more in the pipeline.
“With this release and the next one, we’ll start to create some good awareness about Triple J and ‘Like A Version’ and hopefully we’ll get some attention on the Australian artists,” Metropolitan Groove Merchants (MGM) founder Michael Chase tells Billboard. “We want to get it to roll out with Australia every year.”
Check out the full tracklist for the compilation below.
1. Tame Impala “Confide In Me” (Original by Kylie Minogue)
2. Flume “My Boo” (Ghost Town DJs)
3. Mark Ronson “I Sat By The Ocean” (Queens Of The Stone Age)
4. Chvrches “Do I Wanna Know” (Arctic Monkeys)
5. Chet Faker “(Lover) You Don’t Treat Me No Good” (Sonia Dada)
6. Ben Folds “Such Great Heights” (The Postal Service)
7. John Butler Trio “Happy” (Pharell Willams)
8. Meg Mac “Bridges” (Broods)
9. Bon Iver “Coming Down” (Anaiis Mitchell)
10. Mumford & Sons “Unfinished Business” (White Lies)
11. Boy & Bear “Back To Black” (Amy Winehouse)
12. Cub Sport “Ultralight Beam” (Kanye West)
13. Broods “One Dance” (Drake)
14. Robert DeLong “The Mother We Share” (Chvrches)
15. James Vincent McMorrow “West Coast” (Lana Del Rey)
16. San Cisco “Get Lucky” (Daft Punk)
17. DMA’s “Believe” (Cher)
18. City & Color “Settle Down” (Kimbra)
19. The Jezabels “Don’t Stop Believing” (Journey)
20. Ásgeir “Stolen Dance” (Milky Chance)
21. Catfish & The Bottlemen “Read My Mind” (The Killers)
Photo Credit: Raymond Flotat