Eagles of Death Metal frontman has spoken out, and then retracted his statement, about the events that happened in Paris and who he feels may be responsible.
Seeing the greater portion of a crowd of people that are all screaming your song lyrics and cheering for your art, one of the most profoundly intimate aspects of who you are, get shot down and killed can get your head a little mixed up. It appears that Eagles Of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes is still struggling to come to grips with the awful tragedy of last year’s Paris terrorist attack. According to Stereogum, With admitted nightmares and thoughts that swirl in his head about who was behind it and how it could happen, Hughes appeared in an interview with Fox Business Network’s Lisa “Kennedy” Montgomery to talk about his thoughts.
Hughes was suggesting at first that the French gun control laws were partially to blame for the horrific events of that night but he had a little more to add to that initial thought during the interview. He went on record as saying that the Bataclan’s, where the show took place, security guards may have been in on the attacks. Here was his official statement:
”When I first got to the venue and walked in, I walked past the dude who was supposed to be the security guard for the backstage. He didn’t even look at me. I immediately went to the promoter and said, “Who’s that guy? I want to put another dude on.” He said, “Well, some of the other guards aren’t here yet.” And eventually, I found out that six or so wouldn’t show up at all… Out of respect for the police still investigating, I won’t make a definite statement, but I’ll say that it seems like they had a reason not to show up.”
A clip of the first part of the interview can be seen below.
It was actually shortly after this interview was aired that Hughes seemed to come to his senses and retract almost everything he had claimed. The accusations that he made against the security team were pretty severe and, for the most part, pretty outlandish, but at the same time understandable considering the traumatizing situation he was in. Here is the statements that Hughes released shortly after to apologize for what he had said in the interview.
“I humbly beg forgiveness from the people of France, the staff and security of the Bataclan, my fans, family, friends and anyone else hurt or offended by the absurd accusations I made in my Fox Business Channel interview. My suggestions that anyone affiliated with the Bataclan played a role in the events of November 13 are unfounded and baseless—and I take full responsibility for them. They do not reflect opinions of my bandmates or anyone associated with Eagles of Death Metal. The shame is 100% mine. I’ve been dealing with non-stop nightmares and struggling through therapy to make sense of this tragedy and insanity. I haven’t been myself since November 13. I realize there’s no excuse for my words, but for what it’s worth: I am sincerely sorry for having hurt, disrespected or accused anyone.”
There is still an ongoing investigation of the events on that day and for the security agents that were on the scene they saved hundreds of further lives from being taken.