The founders of the Austin Levitation Festival, The Reverberation Appreciation Society have just announced the release of a tribute album to the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds album. In addition, two songs from the compilation album have just been released.
It has been 50 years since the wildly fantastic, seminal album Pet Sounds was released in 1966. To mark the grand event, Brian Wilson is touring around the world to perform the album one last time. Among these tour dates includes the Levitation Festival in Austin, TX. To celebrate the momentous occasion, The Reverberation Appreciation Society compiled a tribute album to Pet Sounds.
As SPIN notes, the album will consist of 15 bands covering the entire Pet Sounds album and two additional songs, “Good Vibrations” and “Hang On To Your Ego.” Many of the artists featured on the album will also be performing at Levitation Festival this year. Although the album will not be released until May, two songs have already been released. Holy Wave covered “That’s Not Me” and Shannon and the Clams covered “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” and both can be found on SoundCloud. The covers are beautiful renditions of the originals and further show the beauty of Pet Sounds.
The Beach Boys formed in Hawthorne, California in 1961, composed of the brothers Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson, with their cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine. In a few short years, The Beach Boys managed to garner critical and international success. Their sound was heavily influenced by the Southern California landscape, and as time progressed, the band began experimenting more in their music. In 1966, Pet Sounds was released and it demonstrated The Beach Boys’ penchant for creating beautiful music with interesting sounds and methods. It remains as one of the best albums, not only in their catalog, but also in all of music history.
Though the band began to splinter off in its later years as members passed away and conflicts arose, the band continued to release music and tour. In 2011, the Beach Boys reunited for their 50th Anniversary and in 2012 they released the album That’s Why God Made The Radio to coincide with the anniversary.
The Reverberation Appreciation Society’s compilation album is a beautiful way to remember the magnificent album, and put it into the forefront once more. Don’t forget to pick up the record in May, and take a look at the tracklist below.
A Tribute To Pet Sounds
01. “Good Vibrations” — The Black Angels
02. “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” — Indian Jewelry
03. “You Still Believe In Me” — The She’s
04. “That’s Not Me” — Holy Wave
05. “Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)” — Morgan Delt
06. “I’m Waiting For The Day” — The Shivas
07. “Let’s Go Away For A While” — Boogarins
08. “Sloop John B” — Night Beats
09. “God Only Knows” — Chris Catalena
10. “I Know There’s An Answer” — Christian Bland & The Revelators
11. “Here Today” — Cool Ghouls
12. “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” — Shannon & The Clams
13. “Pet Sounds” — Burnt Ones
14. “Caroline, No” — Cosmonauts
15. “Hang On To Your Ego” — The UFO Club