Deradoorian – former bassist and vocalist for Dirty Projectors Angel Deradoorian – is releasing her debut solo album, The Expanding Flower Planet. In Japan, the album will be available on August 19th, 2015, via Tugboat Records. And, for the rest of the world, the album is going to be available on August 21st via Anticon.
When she was with Brooklyn-based group Dirty Projectors, her vocals helped them garner attention. She has gone on to be a member of Avey Tare’s Slasher Flicks, sung on Flying Lotus’ “Siren Song,” and collaborated with artists like Vampire Weekend, Björk, and the Roots, amongst others. The Expanding Flower Planet reflects her unique creative journey.
Deradoorian has faintly synthesized influences from jazz pianist Alice Coltrane, German experimental rock band Can, minimalist Western classical composer Terry Riley, and jazz harpist Dorothy Ashby. And then, Deradoorian merged these with ancient Native American, East Indian, Middle Eastern, and traditional Japanese music to create a new sound that flows gracefully, while transcending the cultures and cultural influences to create songs that are entirely and uniquely Deradoorian.
“The Expanding Flower Planet is an album, a song, a cosmic ideal, and a form of psychic expansion and expanded capability. It’s original and personal. It transmutes ethereal abstractions into crystalline harmonies and sinuous grooves. It’s music nurtured with the idea of healing, exciting, inspiring, enlightening. Drones, dissonance, warmth and love,” according to a press release.
This upcoming release was recorded in various locations around the U.S., over several years. Deradoorian wrote and performed 90% of the material herself, and on the remaining 10% she was assisted by drummers Jeremy Hyman and Michael Lockwood, guest vocalist Niki Randa, and Arlene Deradoorian, along with Gilmore, who helped the songs breathe.
In a press release, Deradoorian stated, “The first song I wrote, which felt appropriate for the album, was called Expanding Flower Planet and represents this desire to broaden the mind and it’s capabilities beyond what we are told it can do.”
The Expanding Flower Planet is available for pre-order on iTunes and in Anticon’s online store.
Deradoorian, The Expanding Flower Planet
01. A Beautiful Woman
02. Expanding Flower Planet
03. Violet Minded
05. Your Creator
06. The Invisible Man
09. The Eye