Iron & Wine’s Sam Beam has teamed up with Ben Bridwell from Band of Horses to release an album of cover songs, called Sing Into My Mouth.
The album features Beam and Bridwell’s takes on 12 songs, including tracks that were made famous by the American rock band Talking Heads, English space rockers Spiritualized, soul singer Sade, blues singer-songwriter and slide guitarist Bonnie Raitt, and Pete Seeger, the late legendary folk singer-songwriter.
Sing Into My Mouth was recorded at Echo Mountain Studios in Asheville, North Carolina. But, the idea for this collaborative project between the two friends had been brewing in the back of their minds, for over a decade, according to Consequence of Sound.
“Ben and I started our careers together and had been threatening to work with one another for years,” Beam said in a press release. “When we finally conceived of the covers project and carved out some time, it was nostalgic and fun from top to bottom — the process of picking the songs to cover was really reminiscent of more than 15 years ago when we used to mail each other cassettes and CDs of music we were into — and the end of every recording day found us cutting up with friends the way we used to when we’d cross paths in South Carolina.”
Bridwell added: “This is truly a ‘full circle’ moment for me … I’ve always wanted us to sing together and finally I have that dream realized.”
Sing Into My Mouth is reportedly going to be released sometime in the summer of 2015 on Beam’s Black Cricket and Bridwell’s Brown Records, respectively, according to Consequence of Sound. Check out the album’s tracklisting, below.
Sing Into My Mouth Tracklist:
01. “This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)” (Talking Heads)
02. “Done This One Before” (Ronnie Lane)
03. “Any Day Woman” (Bonnie Raitt)
04. “You Know Me More Than I Know” (John Cale)
05. “Bulletproof Soul” (Sade)
06. “There’s No Way Out of Here” (Unicorn)
07. “God Knows (You Gotta Give to Get)” (El Perro del Mar)
08. “The Straight and Narrow” (Spiritualized)
09. “Magnolia” (JJ Cale)
10. “Am I a Good Man?” (Them Two)
11. “Ab’s Song” (Marshall Tucker Band)
12. “Coyote, My Little Brother” (Pete Seeger)