Olivier Libaux is a founding member of the French band Nouvelle Vague, who famously cover post-punk and new wave songs in drastically different styles such as folk and bossa nova. On July 16th, the group will release “Uncovered Queens of the Stone Age,” a compilation of beautiful renditions of the band’s wide discography, all performed by female singers in a rich menagerie of styles.
The record is arranged in a stunningly intricate fashion. Libaux produced it in his home studio in Paris and recorded backing arrangements.
Nouvelle Vague formed in 2004 and reached a fair amount of commercial success upon the release of their self-titled debut; they toured extensively and several songs found their way into American film and television. Libaux has also released solo work and collaborated with other French musicians to critical success.
The track listing for “Uncovered QOTSA” will be:
01. River in the Road (performed by Rosemary Standley)
02. Medication (performed by Katharine Whalen)
03. Burn the Witch (performed by Clare Manchon)
04. No One Knows (performed by Inara George)
05. In My Head (performed by Susan Dillane)
06. 3’s and 7’s (performed by Skye)
07. Tangled Up in Plaid (performed by Gaby Moreno)
08. The Blood is Love (performed by Ambrosia Parsley)
09. Running Joke (performed by Youn Sun Nah)
10. Hangin’ Tree (performed by Inara George)
11. Go With the Flow (performed by Emiliana Torrini)
12. I Never Came (performed by Alela Diane)