On the list of albums to ring in the new year is Petra Haden with her upcoming album, Petra Goes to the Movies, out on January 22, 2013. Each track was especially selected by Haden herself, from “soundtracks she emotionally connected to.” Read on for more details.
In regards to the upcoming album, Haden stated:
The idea of interpreting music with my voice started when I was little. I would hear music around the house and mimic the instruments with my voice. And I love movies but my favorite thing about them has always been the soundtracks. When people hear this record I want them to feel what I felt when I first saw the film, even if they’ve never seen it.
This intense emotional connection has allowed Haden to re-create each song in her own perspective, with permission of course. It seems that the influence from The Social Network was most impacting. On Anti-‘s blog it reads:
“When I saw the film Social Network I thought it was a great movie but it was the music that really drew me in,” [Haden] explains. “I immediately got the score and when I heard the song “Hand Covers Bruise” I thought, ‘This is me.’ I recently sent my version to (the song’s co-composer) Atticus Ross and he wrote back, ‘This is f*cking amazing.’”
Other a cappella versions featured stem from films such as Rebel Without A Cause, Taxi Driver, Superman and more.
Petra Goes To The Movies Track Listing:
01. Rebel Without A Cause Main Title – Rebel Without A Cause
02. God’s Lonely Man – Taxi Driver
03. Cool Hand Luke Main Title – Cool Hand Luke
04. Cinema Paradiso – Cinema Paradiso
05. A Fistful Of Dollars Theme – A Fistful Of Dollars
06. Psycho Main Title – Psycho
07. Goldfinger Main Title – Goldfinger
08. Carlotta’s Galop – 8 1/2
09. It Might Be You – Tootsie
10. The Planet Krypton – Superman
11. Superman Theme – Superman
12. My Bodyguard – My Bodyguard
13. Pascal’s Waltz – Big Night
14. Calling You – Bagdad Cafe
15. Hand Covers Bruise – The Social Network
16. This Is Not America – The Falcon and the Snowman