In adherence to a popularized emergence of retro-novelized funk, Los Angeles born artist Benedek (aka Nicholas Benedek) will debut his That’s My Jam EP which features a cameo from Stones Throw’s Dam-Funk.
With dance music making an extreme uprising it’s no surprise that we have witnessed a mirage of breakthrough artists emerge who have worked hard to harness their own niche of the broad range of dance-able music. Among those is a genre that some have coined space-funk, a name believed to be a reference to the cosmic jazz that the whole of this music seems to be influenced by. But nobody is complaining, it’s this genre that has spawned artists like Dam-Funk and now Benedek, a Los Angeles native following in the great steps of the P-Funk nature and adding his own brand of B-Boy accents. Hearing some of Benedek’s earlier tracks one would think that it would only be a matter of time before this electro-funk artists would rendezvous with Stones Throw’s “Ambassador of Boogie-Funk” Dam-Funk and fortunately that instance has come early on. The That’s My Jam EP features remix contributions from Benedek’s Proximal label mates Sahy Uhns, Lawrence Grey, Wake and BearClaw. Check out the full track list below and listen to the opening track from the EP featuring Dam-Funk.
1. That’s My Jam! Feat. DāM-FunK
2. That’s My Jam! (Instrumental)
3. That’s My Jam! (Benedek’s Midnight Cruiser Mix)
4. That’s My Jam! (Lawrence Grey’s Hot Leather Mix)
5. That’s My Jam! (Wake’s Spearmint Jelly Mix)
6. That’s My Jam! (Sahy Uhns’ Low Mix)
7. That’s My Jam! (BearClaw’s Detroit Plane Mix)
8. That’s My Jam! (Knife City Cover)